PDA

View Full Version : New guy here needing help with project

mntodd
30 Jan 2011, 02:16 PM
Well hello everyone, I'm a wannabe web designer & trying to help a group out with a web page. I'm not getting paid for any of this & in fact, throwing $ into it for hosting/domain etc. Just don't want anyone to think that I'm going to be paid for the help I hope to receive here.

I think it will be easiest to understand if I give some details. So here is what I'm wanting to do...

Background:
a dog related website where people come to chat about a specific breed & in fact a specific breeder.

Current:
I have setup a site that has a photo gallery, scrapbook, links page, and a couple of other pages including 2 live video feeds & chat from Ustream.

Project:
Want to develop a guessing game of sorts. As a new litter of pups is expected, I want to allow people to fill in a form that allows them to guess how many males/females and the specific time that the first pup will be born. I'd like to display the time of first pup's birth in the form of a countdown timer. Then I was thinking that all of this information could be displayed in a table so that everyone could refer to it & watch to see who's timer is closest to zero when the pups are born.

So, I think that I can probably figure out some of this but where I'm really lost is having the code of the countdown timer modified by the form entry and having a webpage populated with the form data. And of course I will need the countdown timer code for each user since they will all be different.

I've got a general litter countdown timer working so I have that code, but for me to get it formatted the way I wanted, I put the timer in it's own document & then use iframe to display it in the page that I want. So one question that I have is if it is reasonable to have a new .html page setup for each timer or if the timer code should be repeated on one document for each user.

Not sure I explained this very well. I do have an example of what I want it to come out looking like. Not sure if a link should be posted or not...

So if anyone can give me the basic steps needed to set this up, I would really appreciate it. I'm assuming that a database will need to be created & scripting to make it all work but I'm just not familiar enough with all of that to know the best way to go about it. But anxious to learn of course.

Thanks!
Todd