PDA

View Full Version : How can I make life easier for the Web Designer?

dontknowgrep
02 Feb 2011, 12:26 PM
I'm beginning my search for a web designer to work with and I wanted to get some information so I could both narrow my search down and build a good working relationship with the designer.

The basics of the webpage would be:

Front page/News page:
--news articles would be updated multiple times a day by multiple users
--option for users to register acct and/or log in to existing acct
--slideshow display which would focus on different multimedia submissions such as videos, podcasts and featured articles
--side menu bar with links to different website sections and some modules/widgets to display latest forum posts, twitter submissions, etc

Multimedia page:
--instructional and or interview videos and podcasts
--images
--text documents available

Forums
SEO and/or Ad serving functionality

I would prefer if the website was designed using Drupal simply because I'm somewhat familiar with it but I'm open to other ways of doing it.

How much information does the designer need/want from me? I have some specific needs but I don't want to be an overbearing client?

How do I protect myself from malicious code being inserted into the site's code?

What kind of access do I give the designer? Do I allow them access to the server through FTP or do I simply test the site out on a local MAMP type setup?

I figure this posting is all over the place but any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.