PDA

View Full Version : Template development for commercially available CMS

Alex Sellers
21 Mar 2011, 12:20 PM
Hello Developers:

I have a few questions regarding developing templates for commercially available CMS products. The specific CMS I have in mind is Active Content Management.

Once the information architecture, wireframes and creative design of a medium sized website is decided, can one develop the templates outside of the CMS and then import into the CMS? What kind of integration requirements would have to be met for the templates to seamlessly import into the CMS? How would a template developed outside of the CMS integrate with the underlying database design of the CMS?

The CMS comes with various page types of its own. What is the relationship between page types and templates? For example if the design calls for automatic feed of news items into a feature area, would we have to store the new items using the "news" page type to begin with?

My own level:
1) Novice
2) Plan to hire others to do the work. I just need to understand the options and relationships between different components better so that I can do a good job of hiring the right people.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Alex