PDA

View Full Version : Unique CMS Requirements. Any Suggestions Please?

urbanelementz
05 May 2011, 03:39 PM
Hey Everyone!

I'm currently attacking a new project for a small environmental magazine company which is growing very rapidly. I just received a contract to setup a new CMS bases website using something like WordPress, Drupal, Joomla or something similar. I've setup a couple WordPress sites in the past but nothing to this extent. I'm not completely blind when it comes to this but it would help to have input from someone that knows more than I do. I would love to hear suggestions from you to help me meet the clients expectations for this project.

Here is what they need:

1. Home page
- text and graphic links to other sections
- current and highlighted news/info/listings
- Twitter and RSS feeds
2. Editorial section
- overview of Alliance: mission, mandate et al
- about us and our collaborators
- editorial mission and mandate
- submissions and writers guidelines
- upcoming issues - magazine and newsletters
- current and archived issues
3. Marketing section
- advertising plan and offerings
- media kit and rate card
4. Community section
- curated directory listings
- curated events calendar listings
- curated news
- curated links
5. Contact
6. Banner and text ad rotation backend
7. Analytics and SEO capability
8. Output to email newsletter with full subscriber backend

A good CMS has the capability to take CSV and page layout export files and automatically populate a database backend with text, data and graphics.

I'm fairly certain their are lots of plugins/widget/applications that can be implemented into certain CMS setups. This site will be fully moderated. From what I understand, they want to be able to update the main page (blog) with news & advertisements which will only be put in by the moderators. Above they have listed an Editorial Section, Marketing Section or page so advertisers can get more information, a fully functional community calendar that users can input there own events into (upon approval of a moderator), and a place for users to post there own news, etc (upon approval of a moderator or at least a forum like setup).

I don't know if I explained this perfectly but you get the idea. The budget isn't huge so I don't want to spend a month or 2 setting this up. I would prefer to customize a design for something like WordPress or Joomla and add plugins or applications with some simple step by step integration.

Thanks!

urbanelementz
06 May 2011, 12:14 AM
Anyone? Any help would be great. Thanks.