PDA

View Full Version : Description tag problem

Jamespatrick
23 May 2011, 06:26 AM
Hello,

I am not a html expert so any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Basically I am trying to put links into the text on out news page that is regularly updated. The problem I have is that the page is created using a CMS and when I type the text with links ( a href) the cms uses this text in the meta description and as meta tags can't have links it puts the link text at the top of the page when you view in a browser.

The choices I think I have are:
1. Delete the description tag from the cms so that it doesn't have the links in the meta tag.
2. Coming up with a way of the cms only using the first 150 characters of the description and ignoring the rest which would mean that as long as the links were put after 150 characters they would be ok.
3. Think of a way of disguising the text when it appears at the top of the screen, maybe putting into a font the same as the background.

I think the best option would be to get rid of the meta description tag altogether but would this have any affect on the google ranking as these pages do very well at the moment and I think it is down to the fact that it cross references the meta description with the text on the page. If I take out the description tag will it force google to find other text on the page and use that as the description?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated as I am quite far out of my comfort zone.

Thanks

James

Jamespatrick
23 May 2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the reply Manu, do you think it will have an effect on rankings?

James