PDA

View Full Version : Possible employment in web development?

VanishingSpy
22 Dec 2011, 06:54 AM
I am really interested in becoming a web developer.

For about six years I've worked in the graphic design field, but unfortunately I have no real professional web experience. The places I've worked have focused mainly on print. I'm currently on my way to learning as much as I can about web design and development. I did go to school back in 2004-2006, and got an associate's degree in Multimedia, of which web design was a part. We also learned broadcast graphics, 3d animation, and a little bit of programming. But that was eons ago in computer time. I'm 32 now and somewhat established in graphic design.

Over the course of the next year I'm planning to learn as much as possible about the field of web development. I'm proficient in HTML/CSS, and am learning Javascript. I'm planning on learning PHP soon as well as a general-purpose programming language (probably Python.)

Would I be able to have much of a shot at obtaining a job in web development at some point in the future without a specific degree in Computer Science? I've been building my own "practice" sites and am trying to implement commonly-used elements in websites of today like interactive searches, payment systems, etc. I've thought about starting an "on the side" freelance business where I would offer graphic design, web design and web development services to local businesses. (For instance, a bookstore needing a website designed with a feature where you could search for or browse and then order a book online.)

So... how important is a degree in web development? Are there shops out there that would possibly hire a self-taught developer if they showed that they had skill and drive in the field? Or would my best shot be to offer my services as a freelancer?

nanbane
23 Dec 2011, 06:13 AM
I am new to this forums..........