PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for advice on starting my website over from scratch

paulb104
27 Sep 2012, 11:24 PM
Hey :)

About six years ago I built a pair of websites using oscommerce. They are not horrible sites. Last year both of them were hacked. At least 98% of what I learned to build them have been forgotten so I cannot fix them.

One site I'm going to get rid of - we just don't need it anymore. The other site is more important and never really did what we wanted it to do anyway. It will not be for selling so I don't need oscommerce anymore.

We need a site that will showcase my wife's jewelry. It must be highly searchable. She makes high end handmade jewelry with only natural materials (think diamonds and pearls at art shows, as opposed to hematite and crystals at craft shows). The way I explain the not-yet-built site to her customers is that they'll be able to use to help design custom jewelry (my wife's main business). Someone could search for color or material or size or shape, and hopefully any combination. I'm thinking it might have a check box list similar to the way ebay shows results from a search. This would be infinitely better than a boolean search, though I'd still want that capability,

There are three initial questions in my head...

One: does the type site I'm explaining have a name or classification or style? If I knew what to call it, that would greatly help me with forum and google searches.

Two: is there one software that is better than others to build this type of site with or am I going from scratch again.

Three: is what I want better/worse/indifferent with css or html, or is there something better and newer that I don't know about?

Thanks for any guidance!

Paul

whaaa
28 Sep 2012, 10:59 AM
Use an e-commerce wordpress template on themeforest

I have a client I'm building a website for that plans on paying me after I'm complete.

I'm building on their FTP.

Is there any techniques to lock down the website to have it mess up completely when activated by me if they refuse to pay?