PDA

View Full Version : jQuery Uploadify - Question for anyone who has used it - ever.

Trillium
16 Jan 2013, 06:07 PM
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have any experience using the jQuery file upload plugin uploadify?

I'm having some trouble implementing it into my site, and I can't seem to get any help on their forum.

If you have had experience with it, all I'm trying to do is even just get the basic demo to work - I can't even seem to get it to do that - even using the code that they give you in the demo package (and then of course changing the appropriate links). I'm stumped...

I wanted to use it because it seemed easier then modifying my own shakey upload system, but I'm struggling...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

khayhurst
29 Jan 2013, 02:19 AM
Why reinvent the wheel right? I'd just get a pre-built file manager too. Personally I tried elFinder and integrated it with TinyMCE. You just need elFinder though if you want a file manager it's pretty slick check it out.

Trillium
30 Jan 2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks khayhurst,
Exactly, well, except I did reinvent the wheel for a different site, but that wheel doesn't work with this one :) - hence I'm trying to get uploadify to work... However, ya, I'd be willing to try a different one. I need it to be simple and be able to upload about 50 images at once (it's for a photography site). Progress bars are good to have too. Does the elFinder do that?

khayhurst
31 Jan 2013, 02:43 AM
Hmm, unfortunately not... Then there's Plupload, you can use it under the GPLv2 license or the commercial single site license is like 15 bucks

Trillium
02 Feb 2013, 01:12 AM
Okay, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still trying to hold out for a free version :).

I've gone back to trying to use the upload script that I wrote. It's fairly basic, and it doesn't use Ajax (thus it just uses PHP's file upload capability through the $_FILES super global array). This works, but depending on how many files I try to upload - or how big the files are, it doesn't work. I'm wondering if anyone knows what would cause this to happen. I'm thinking it's something in the php.ini file such as:
max_upload_size
max_execution_time
max_input_time
etc.

If that's the case, is it safe to alter those, and if so, can I do that on a server that I don't have the control of the php.ini file for?

Sorry, I realize this is a lot of questions, but any answers are appreciated, thanks!

Trillium
02 Feb 2013, 01:38 AM
Well, it turns out that if I use the ini_set() function like so:
ini_set('max_execution_time', 300);

I can modify the settings that are causing the page to crash. It's a bit of a clunky solution, but it seems to work.

khayhurst
02 Feb 2013, 08:19 AM
Ah, I see, good to know
Apparently you cannot change the max upload size at run-time and it can only be changed in the php.ini . I had forgot about the timeout though thanks for the reminder. I'm guessing you may have to increase this at some point if it's a photography site. Those images tend to be very large file sizes and it will also depend on the user's upload speed. Glad to hear it's working!

Trillium
04 Feb 2013, 06:19 PM
Oh, okay, I didn't know that you can't change the max upload size at run time... But it seems to be working well now yes, I just have to make sure that my client doesn't try to upload images that are more then 400px in width. That seems to create an okay file size.

I'll try to post if I ever get a solution with uploadify or something like that...