Thread: Problem with my home page

Problem with my home page

When a person tries to visit my site, he is taking to a page named Index.htm - which shows a list of the files in the website - instead of to my intended home page. Please tel me how to replace this default home page with my own home page.

It sounds like the default page isn't showing, and so the visitor sees the contents of the directory instead (this is the reason every directory should have a default html file in it, even directories that contain, for instance, just images. Having a blank "index.html" documtent in the directory will keep people from viewing the directory contents which could be a security problem.

Anyway, in your instance your default file is named wrong. Either the file name is misspelled or the default file name is something different than you have it. Most often index.htm or index.html are default names, although it might be default.html or something else. Whatever it is, it's specified in the server setup files. First try index.htm and index.html and see if either of those work. If not, ask your web host what it should be (or see if there's a FAQ document on their site that tells you what it needs to be called.