Thread: Chat script recommendations?

Chat script recommendations?

I'm looking for something to replace the chat I have running on my website. I'm currently using Sigma Chat, a chat program that's hosted on an outside server. I need to replace it because of a bug in their script. It seems that you can sign in using the name of someone already chatting and kick them out of the chat. Apparently some people think it's "funny" and others are getting upset with it.

Anyone have any suggestions for replacements? I don't care if it's hosted outside or on my server (and since I own the server I can run anything I want). Whatever it do choose needs to be friendly towards older operating systems (i.e. Windows 95/98 and Mac OS9) and the browsers that can run on them.

I don't need (nor want) multiple chat rooms and it would be nice to have optional registration so someone chould reserve a user name if they wanted, but not absolutely register to join in. In other words, a pretty basic chat.

I should add that I'm interested in either a free script of one with a one-time only payment. I'm definitely don't want something that will have continuing payments to use.