Thread: Quick SQL question...

Quick SQL question...

Hi, this is my first post in this forum.

I'm learning web design, and have a pretty good understanding of basic HTML and developing static sites.

I'm working on a website for a recreational poker league.

I'd like to have it set up so that the tournament hosts can login and update player names/points (they earn points for placing in the tournaments).

I'd also like the players to be able to login with there names and view there points, and also have the website automatically show the top 20 players when it loads up.

It's a nationwide league, so I'd also like the players to be able to choose a state from a dropdown list, then a city, then tournament schedules for the city.

I'm not asking how to do all of this, I figure that would take too much of someones time.

What I'm asking is could this be accomplished through SQL?

If so, from a beginners view, how tough would this be to learn?

Anyone have any good books or tutorials to recommend on the subject?

Any other DBMS's you guys would choose over SQL?

Any help is greatly appreciated. My big challenge right now is learning how to build dynamic websites.

Thanks!

-Scott

Hi,

It could definately be ran from mysql database.

but for the database information to be interpretted you would have to do a lot of php coding to build it. php is reasonably simple to learn in comparison to other languages and would stand you in good sted later on while designing.

I would recommend going to your library to get out a few books or buying one. i have sitepointes php5 - build your wn database driven website and i can high recommend it,

but if you want it done quick, fast and well i would hire a programmer. you can get good ones now pretty cheap.