Thread: Any ideas for an easy way to list files?

Any ideas for an easy way to list files?

Hi,

I've been struggling for a while now on how to easily list press releases in .pdf format. I have a PR person here that pumps these things out in an astonishing rate and I would like a simple proceedure she can follow so she can post them herself. I was looking at the possibility of using a blog, but I haven't found one that you can "drag & drop" the files into. If I'm to have any success in convincing her that she can do this, it will have to be that easy. Right now I have to copy the pdf's to the web server and create a link from the press releases page. Not a tough job at all, but it's a) time consuming and b) I only have one Dreamweaver license, so she can't do it this way (and I'm NOT teaching her html, just shoot me now!).

As simple as it seems to do, it's not simple for her, nor is it safe to let her rummage around on the web server. And right now we're in a hiring freeze and I have to fill three jobs and update the web daily. So I'm trying to delegate as much as I can to others.

Anyone have any recommendations or am I doomed to listing these myself?

Thanks,
    Webster

www.library.martin.fl.us

You could have a simple script written (although there may be one already. Check [url]http://hotscripts.com[/i]) that would take the contents of a directory and make a page with the contents as links on it. You then wrap it with HTML code for the look and feel of the site. Getting the files to the directory could be with an FTP program, set up to launch with the necessary setting already in place. Conversely you could have a second script written that would take a file and put it in the correct location on the server.

You should be able to get a custom script for this pretty inexpensively if you post the job on one of the freelance sites (like http://getafreelancer.com. Neither is a difficult thing to write.