I work at a company where one person is in IT and can't spend too much time on our website because of all their other responsibilities. While we have a website that is functional, it dates back to the 90s and needs to be brought up with the times.

I want to offer my services to the company to re-develop their website. I'm not a professional website developer nor was I hired to be one, but I'm very capable of giving our site a face lift.

Since website development is not in my job description, I cannot focus all my time and effort at work on this site. However, if I put all the time and effort into this site at home, I hope to be compensated.

My question is, what is the going rate for website design?

It will be a large website with hundreds of pages depicting our products and such. I know it will take a great deal of time considering I only have a few hours after work each day to work on it. I'm going to put together a mock website with a few pages to show management what I'd like to do. If they approve the design and say 'go for it' I want to be able to give them a cost for this website.

How do most website developers charge for their time?

Thanks