Thread: Scripts and hits

Scripts and hits

Hi everyone! I'm considering starting my own webpage (never done it before) and using it to generate revenue through advertisement hosting (and maybe the odd sale of goods and service).

I have no fantasies of getting rich by doing this but the idea of having my own site and generating revenue when people visit my site sounds appealing and a good project to do on the side.

I know all about the importance of having a flashy site and finding a niche but here's my question...

If an advertising company is going to pay someone, say 2 cents everytime someone visits their site and sees their ad, what is stopping someone from creating a script that will keep refreshing the page?

I think I found the answer to my own question; Advertising companies often use algorithms or other means to keep track of the number of times your site, and their ads, are visited. Getting your family and friends to "help you out" by repeatedly clicking on your site would be logged and could lead to harsh penalties by the advertising company, including withholding any money you might have earned up to that point.