Thread: Dumb Newb Question: Why doesn't page size display work in DW CS3?

Dumb Newb Question: Why doesn't page size display work in DW CS3?

Hey all, great forum!

I've recently started using Dreamweaver CS3 and learning a bit more about web development in general (mostly as a hobby), and I'm wondering why the page size / download time indicator in the status bar doesn't seem to work properly?

For instance, this page:
    www.thesuligoys.com/bellmarketing
    is a template I put together for my mother-in-law. Forgive the clunky appearance; it's exactly what she wanted, and I don't argue. Anyhow, DW status bar shows this page to be 1k. Manually adding up the html page, style sheets, and images gives me about 50k. The Firebug plugin for Firefox agrees with the 50k.

So that's great, but it would be nice to have a disply that changed real-time in my dev software as I added things, to keep an eye on size and also to see estimated page load times at different connection speeds. I mean, the old Frontpage I used in college could do this!

So, is there any way to make the DW status bar show the size of the page AND all the images and objects? And if you're all using a different tool for this, can ya reccomend it?

Thanks for looking.... I'm sure I'll be around to bug you more as I work on a few upcoming projects!

just use yslow plugin for firefox.