Thread: NS or DNS server problems

NS or DNS server problems

Hey all.

First off, I am a complete beginner in this field, so please bear with me if this is a stupid question. I tired searching for an answer before creating this thread, but given my less than stellar knowledge I didn't even know what to search for/where to begin.

Anyways, here goes:

I'm having frequent (well, at least weekly) problems with accessing a site I am a regular member of. The problem seems to be that the NS the site is using seems to stop working a few hours every now and then, and to top it off my DNS server is far from reliable. This of course results in me not being able to access the site when this happens.

Now, I know you can resolve the address (when the DNS/NS thig is working) to get the IP of the site and connect to the IP directly. I often do that with Google for example. However, this particular server hosts two sites, and whenever I try to access the IP directly I end up on the wrong site.

Question: Is it possible to somehow, given these conditions, access the site without a working DNS/NS, using the IP of the server?

Example: www.wikipedia.org resolves to 91.198.174.2, but if you access the IP directly you end up at an error page and not at the wikipedia start page. Can I access wikipedia's start page using the IP, somehow?

Again, I am sorry if this has been answered before.

Thanks in advance for any and all help,

Thomas

Thomas

Have you been able to resolve this problem yet?

This sounds like your having this problem with multiple web sites, and would suggest the problem is with your own internet service provider, not an actual web site itself if your having to do this with google and wikipedia.

Try getting a new internet service provider instead, who has more reliable DNS servers.