Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Search Engine Basics

Google Search Engine Basics

Search Engine Optimization is obviously important, otherwise what's the point in building a website for the public domain unless they are aware of it's existance. Below are a few links to help get new websites into the public domain (on Google at least).

Add your URL to Google

Pretty straight forward. This link brings you to a page that will submit your website to the Google search engine, so that they know you are ready to be indexed.

Google Webmaster Central

This is an important page for web developers and administrators alike. Bookmark it! This will provide links to help videos and general resources aimed at webmasters. If you are not familiar with basic SEO but would like to be, this is your ticket out of ignorance.

Just to emphasize one aspect of this resource, take a look at the Googles SEO Starter Guide. This goes through all the basics with clear explanations of how to do (and not to do) things. (You may have noticed this but this article is located on the Google Webmaster Central Blog. There might be a few articles there worth reading.)

SEO on Google couldn't be any easier. Just remember, there is no clear cut way of getting to the top of the search rankings. It's just a matter of covering all your bases and letting Google do the work.
    “The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.”

I think Google has certainly acknowledged the importance Search Engine Optimization by unveiling an e-book on SEO. It has been months I have downloaded it and I have reread it several time.

In the first place, this is what Google wants. Building great contents for the surfers and readers. If you have great contents on your site, Google then will acknowledge your importance if people keeps coming back for more and some bookmarks your pages and articles. thus, giving you high PR in the long run.

Alan,

I have read google’s “search-engine-optimization-starter-guide“, at the beginning of second page at the first paragraph it has written that if we too much focus on precise settings for the sake of better rankings at google’s SERP-s then we might not get desired position.

Incredible, we have to do just that, to pay attention to as much focus as we can and only in that way we will can get better ranking position. Focusing at on-page and off-page optimization is the most important thing, because competition, never sleeps.

WebDizajnSajter,

Quote Originally Posted by Google's Search Engine Optimization Start Guide
    Even though this guide's title contains the words "search engine", we'd like to say that you should
    base your optimization decisions first and foremost on what's best for the visitors of your site. They're
    the main consumers of your content and are using search engines to find your work. Focusing too
    hard on specific tweaks to gain ranking in the organic results of search engines may not deliver the
    desired results. Search engine optimization is about putting your site's best foot forward when it
    comes to visibility in search engines.
    I believe the paragraph you are referring to advises people not to focus too much on specific areas, if it is interfering with the human visitors to your site. Human visitors must always come first as they are your target audience.

Also it does not say desired position, but rather desired results. Again, I believe it is referring to the human visitors to your site.
    “The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.”

Smile Not to focus too much on specific areas

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    WebDizajnSajter,

I believe the paragraph you are referring to advises people not to focus too much on specific areas, if it is interfering with the human visitors to your site.
    I’m not quite sure, what you mean regarding above quote, can you explain me with real example. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDizajnSajter View Post
    I’m not quite sure, what you mean regarding above quote, can you explain me with real example. Thanks in advance.
    Well the only example I can think of off hand is if you went overboard on keywords, that you created text in the same colour as the background for the purpose of increasing your keyword count. In a visitors eye, there is unnecessary whitespace on the page which may affect their reading of your site and perhaps the aestatic appeal of it aswell. Small example, but as I said, all I can think of right now.

Alan,

I agree with you, thank you for making great effort to help me, I appreciate that. You know, we all touch in the dark regarding SEO.

So the line between visitors and search engines is very thin. We all have to walk over that line, some of us fall down, and others like acrobats walk.

Well the only example I can think of off hand is if you went overboard on keywords, that you created text in the same colour as the background for the purpose of increasing your keyword count. In a visitors eye, there is unnecessary whitespace on the page which may affect their reading of your site and perhaps the aestatic appeal of it aswell. Small example, but as I said, all I can think of right now.
    Weren't the major search engines (BG) penalizing for exactly that ten years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by djlebarron View Post
    Weren't the major search engines (BG) penalizing for exactly that ten years ago?
    Yup. Was just an example I thought of at the time.

Yeah, I'm noticing my rankings in both Google and yahoo for some of my pages go up and down with about 4 positions daily. Whereas my established sites and pages with loads of good back links are more stable in their rank position.

Thumbs up The most important - Content is the king

Search Engine Optimization is obviously important, otherwise what's the point in building a website for the public domain unless they are aware of it's existance. Below are a few links to help get new websites into the public domain (on Google at least).

Add your URL to Google

Pretty straight forward. This link brings you to a page that will submit your website to the Google search engine, so that they know you are ready to be indexed.

Google Webmaster Central

This is an important page for web developers and administrators alike. Bookmark it! This will provide links to help videos and general resources aimed at webmasters. If you are not familiar with basic SEO but would like to be, this is your ticket out of ignorance.

Just to emphasize one aspect of this resource, take a look at the Googles SEO Starter Guide. This goes through all the basics with clear explanations of how to do (and not to do) things. (You may have noticed this but this article is located on the Google Webmaster Central Blog. There might be a few articles there worth reading.)

SEO on Google couldn't be any easier. Just remember, there is no clear cut way of getting to the top of the search rankings. It's just a matter of covering all your bases and letting Google do the work.
    Well I agree that the search engine optimization is quite important these days to make your website to stay on the top. But what requires more is the useful and fresh content. People search for more and more content and that too latest. Useful information is always appreciated. What I believe, the most important thing is the content. When people start liking your post, you will automatically gain value for that. That also affects your search rankings.

SEOBook's toolbar is great. It's really a compilation of many different tools and is great tool for intermediate users. You can X-ray the contents of your site, check back links, and see how you compare to similar sites. Coupled with some knowledge with Google webmaster articles, it can put you on the right path. It takes a little time to get used to it as it's fairly robust.

doing the basics will get your site indexed by google bots quickly

it's what you do with internet marketing and link building that gets top ranks in the search engines

Focus on research and analyzing your competition to get started... focus on small niche markets and grow from there

don't take on big pro markets or you'll be wasting your time

The Google submission form I would not advise you to do.

Google state that you can use this form to submit your website to their index of websites and it can take up to 6 weeks for your website to be placed into their index.

I would not personally wait 6 weeks for my website to be placed in their index rotation.

I mean when do you plan to get your site top ranked if you going to wait for Google to Index your site first?

crish Guest
    very nice article related to SEO but i know already about it.

This is a great post. I like this topic.This site has lots of advantage. I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me many away..So i want some information for sharing this side with some of my friend. Thanks

web master account is the most precious thing i have ever used....... speacially when your site is not getting indexed in google....

Good post! Thanks for your sharing!
    ghd blog gives you the latest fashion and beauty news.

Thumbs up

Add your URL to Google

Google Webmaster Central

yeah i am also with these guidelines i think this is the starting things for promoting your website on google but i don't think this is enough for promoting your website on google you have to do more work to see your ranking results on google.