Thread: Good Website Community

Good Website Community

I've been building a personal blog/website and though I love my little digital home I see the lack for a returning audience. Don't get me wrong, I know there are very popular blogs out there but I just don't see myself as being one of those people who's life and articles would be entertaining enough to grab and hold a nice size returning audience.
    I'd love to make my attempt at building a website community which has a good enteraction between both myself and the members who are involved within it. Something that a kid would turn to his buddy and say "hey check this website out" or post an add or link on their social networking site profile for people to check out the site etc. Only thing is I don't really know what to build it based on.
    Any help on community websites, or portal development? Much appreciated

I have been trying to do the same thing with my website corrosiveonline.co.uk with varying levels of success. I try to write articles and tutorials covering the stuff I wish I'd been told/able to find when I started building sites and also to write up new stuff I learn as I go along.

I added a forum in January and have a few active members but when the competition is as good as this forum (and others) where hundreds of experts can help out then it is tough to get established. My Google stats for last month show 45 - 90 visitors a day which isn't too bad.

The hardest thing I find is finding the time to write stuff for the site when I am working and now setting up my own online business as well. I don't have kids but the wife gets a bit hacked off with me spending all my time on the computer so we try and keep weekends free which leaves me very little time for writing.

When I do get the time I hope my stuff is of a good quality and I try and Digg and Tweet as much of it as I can. Fresh content is king in getting your site recognised and visited so that will be your major challenge.

As for technical stuff, my site is plain old HTML and CSS, handbuilt from scratch but I use Simple Machines Forum (SMF) for that part.

Good luck with your venture

"Reliable and affordable web design - Bristol, UK"

Website Links: Bristol Web Design | Bristol IT Support | Corrosive Online
    Social Media for Yoto Creative: Follow Us | Like Us