Thread: Creating Sortable Database List

Creating Sortable Database List

Hi,

I have created a fairly simple website, but am getting hung up on one thing. A part of my site needs to have some sort of organized list, that can be narrowed or sorted in some way. I am creating an aviation website, and would like to have a list of flight schools, that could possible be filtered by location, or a few other variables. What would be the easiest way to do this without hardcoding all the information?

That is the most important part, but if possible - I would like to be able to create a user form where someone could come and fill out information for the flight school, and submit it themselves.

Creating databases and that sort of code is really not my thing - so pointing me in the right direction would be great!

Thanks,
    Alix

There are probably several ways. PHP can sort, but it's a complicated language to learn.

You could use "chained select boxes" which uses javascript. You have two or more select boxes in a form and a choice in the first changes the options in the second, and so on. See http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...ects/index.htm which uses vehicle manufacturers, the maufacturer chosen in the first box then shows only that manufacturer's vehicle types in the second box.

The chained select box would presumably be used in conjunction with an email to send details of a car type to a viewer, but the chained select menu
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...menu/index.htm
    can be used as a navigation menu to open another page.
    Code downloaded to my PC will be deleted in due course.
    WIN7; IE9, Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Safari for Windows; screen resolution usually 1366*768.
    Also IE6 on W98 with 800*600 and IE8 on Vista 1440*900.