Thread: Need a way to let client edit only certain pages on site

Question Need a way to let client edit only certain pages on site

I'm doing a site for a business that would like to be able to update some of the pages on their own. I've only done a few sites so I'm not sure what the best way to do this would be. Any help is appreciated!

Di

How are you building the site? Is it a collection of static HTML pages, or is it generated by PHP code or some other approach?

You have a few options... if the client knows HTML, he/she can edit the site themselves with a program like Dreamweaver if you give them FTP access to a specific folder of the site that contains all the editable pages. That's probably the simplest solution.

Another approach is for you to setup the site with a CMS (like Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, etc). You could set up the site in Joomla and make her an administrator account that has access to certain pages. I believe you can setup administrative permissions for each page like that. Of course there are big drawbacks to this solution (you'd have to get pretty good at Joomla, which is a pain in the butt).

Anyway, let me know how you want to tackle this and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Cheers