Thread: content dropping down in IE 6

content dropping down in IE 6

My flash and middle content is dropping down below my left side bar in IE 6. Looks okay on a Mac running Safari and Firefox, and looks okay in IE 7.

Could someone please take a look at the site: http://www.harvestchapelclt.org and give me an idea of what might be going on? Newbie at CSS so I'm sure I've done something stupid. . . thanks!

One method to cure IE6 is to delete the width in #main and let it use the remaining width in #wrapper which has width: 800px. Your #leftsidebar width: 200px plus 2*5px margins and float: left is effectively floating left in the margin-left: 215px of #main with 5px spare.
    #main {
    /*width:585px;*/
    margin: 10px 0 0 215px;
    padding: 0;
    }

It will also work if you change the width to 577px leaving the margin-left of 215px (see explanation below).
    ----------------------
    Another, probably more correct method, is to use two floated divs side by side.
    #leftsidebar is already float: left.
    #main {
    width:575px; float:right;
    margin: 10px 0 0 5px;/*was 10px 0 0 215px;*/
    padding: 0;
    }

will work in IE6. #wrapper is 800px, less #leftsidebar 200 + 2*5 margins (210px) leaves 590px for #main which should be your original 585px plus a margin-left of 5px but this didn't work in IE6 which only accepted 575px plus 5px with this method (577px with the other). It means either the #leftsidebar or #main are actually expanding beyond their specified widths by 10px because of one of the inner divs although I don't know which one. It might be something in the javascript which is adding padding or margin.

IE6 works in mysterious ways.
    Code downloaded to my PC will be deleted in due course.
    WIN7; IE9, Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Safari for Windows; screen resolution usually 1366*768.
    Also IE6 on W98 with 800*600 and IE8 on Vista 1440*900.