Thread: Hi, Web Idiot Here!

Hi, Web Idiot Here!

Hi
    My name is Will MacBride and I know next to diddley about designing web pages, getting your site up on search engines, and running a web business. I generally tend to dislike sitting in front of the computer working for long periods. I do woodworking and that kind work is a lot more my metier.
    To be truthful, I relate to the computer and the internet as more an entertainment device than a workstation. However, I see the potential of it and I want to get to the point of minimum literacy and know how with it. Actually I'm not totally clueless, but compared to a lot of people here I probably am.
    I'm right at the point of starting a web business selling the stuff I make in my woodshop and I just need the basics to get up on search engines and that kinda thing. I'm gonna put up a more specific question in general questions.

look forward to meeting all you techies,
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Will1987
    Hi
    My name is Will MacBride and I know next to diddley about designing web pages, getting your site up on search engines, and running a web business. I generally tend to dislike sitting in front of the computer working for long periods. I do woodworking and that kind work is a lot more my metier.
    To be truthful, I relate to the computer and the internet as more an entertainment device than a workstation. However, I see the potential of it and I want to get to the point of minimum literacy and know how with it. Actually I'm not totally clueless, but compared to a lot of people here I probably am.
    I'm right at the point of starting a web business selling the stuff I make in my woodshop and I just need the basics to get up on search engines and that kinda thing. I'm gonna put up a more specific question in general questions.

look forward to meeting all you techies,
    Will
    Welcome to the forum!

Well to start off learning basic HTML and CSS techniques will benefit you (the search engine tags are included with the HTML as "meta" tags). Once you have the basic skills down learning some JavaScript, just knowing how to edit some of it even, will help as well. Then learning how to make basic graphics and understanding structure of web pages, cross-browser compatabiliy (IE, FF, Opera, NetScape, etc.) and how programming languages come into practice with web sites. These are all the backbone of web design, once these are learned, web page design will come much easier (at least the "know how" will).

Alex R