Thread: Internet Explorer 6. Cache is breaking my website?

Internet Explorer 6. Cache is breaking my website?

Hi,
    I'm writing a webapp using ruby as the server side scripting language, and I'm stuck at a really strange problem.

I'm generating a HTML page using CGI, which works perfectly under Firefox and Safari. But under IE6, something really weird happens.

Every time I hit refresh: the page lays itself out differently. (and incorrectly)

BUT everytime I delete my cache (Tools>Options>Delete All Temporary Internet Files), then the page lays itself out correctly.

The generated HTML page doesn't change between refreshes. I've checked thoroughly. Just IE lays it out differently.

Does anyone have any guesses as to where I should start looking? I'm absolutely and completely stuck.
    Thanks a lot
    -Cuppo

Quote Originally Posted by CuppoJava
    Hi,
    I'm writing a webapp using ruby as the server side scripting language, and I'm stuck at a really strange problem.

I'm generating a HTML page using CGI, which works perfectly under Firefox and Safari. But under IE6, something really weird happens.

Every time I hit refresh: the page lays itself out differently. (and incorrectly)

BUT everytime I delete my cache (Tools>Options>Delete All Temporary Internet Files), then the page lays itself out correctly.

The generated HTML page doesn't change between refreshes. I've checked thoroughly. Just IE lays it out differently.

Does anyone have any guesses as to where I should start looking? I'm absolutely and completely stuck.
    Thanks a lot
    -Cuppo
    Well to start, IE sucks (FireFox all the way). I don't know if that's something you can fix, I know I don't sound much of help, but it sounds like a problem that just may be un-fixable. However, let me call my programmer (he understands cross-browser mark-up and IE really well) and I'll make another post.

Alex R