Thread: How it all works - yet another, where to begin

Question How it all works - yet another, where to begin

Morning all-

I have decided to kick off a webpage & forum for my cronies. I thought to myself, how hard could it be? Many years ago I had taken a stab at a personal webpage using nothing but HTML and Notepad - fast forward to today, wow - things have changed!

I am looking for an overview of what I am seeing today and how it works. I am confused on even the fundamentals on what is running what that I can't even begin to make decisions on where I should start making a site. Domain name, check. Hosting, check...(Windows or Linux). From there it stops.

I am note sure if I should do a HTML site... or a CMS site... or wait, is CMS just a way to mange the flow on HTML? PHP & MySQL...maybe CMS creates PHP? ... do I even have HTML if I use a template from a source like Joomla?

Super confused. Is there a site that will layout what's what in the world of web development of today? It seems that the options are so all over the place that I could spend months learning something that is on the way out.

In short I am trying to develop a website that has:

1) Managed Users
    2) Calendar of events
    3) A forum
    4) A image database

I have been considering buying a Joomla 1.5 template and slapping it up, but that's about as far as I know where to go. Any advice to point me in the right direction is greately appreciated.

Bman.

from your questions im guessing you have seem catching up to do. :
    html is the language of web design. cms is as you say a way of editing /your site
    Joomla or Drupal would be worth looking at for you i think. Joomla especially as you are almost certain to fine these items that you mention as modules or components ( i forget which is which) check out mabohut and other joomla sites they offer free templates and modules and that will be a way of getting what you want, quickly online.
    you could still make you own of course if you are willing to wait to learn