Thread: Question about CMS

Question about CMS

Hi all,

Sorry if I'm asking an old question, but I've scoured the forums and can't find the answer I'm looking for, so I'm starting a new thread. I'll try and be as clear as I can the first time.

I am building several different websites in DW CS4 for photographer friends of mine. Each is very unique and each includes dropdown menus and image galleries powered by CSS or Javascript. Ultimately I want them to be able to edit their own sites without my help, because I know as artists they will want to add new content fairly often, and I just don't have the time to do it for them.

So I'm looking for a CMS solution, but here's the problem - in the case of elements in the sites that require Javascript or more-than-your-average CSS to power menus and galleries, how would I integrate the ability to easily edit those elements in a CMS environment?

Here's an example of a CSS-based menu I have:

Code:
    <div id="menu">

<div class="menustyle"><a href="index.html" class="menustyle">Home</a></div>

<div class="menustyle"><a href="contact.html" class="menustyle" target="myframe">Contact</a></div>

<div class="menustyle"><a href="bio.html" class="menustyle" target="myframe">Biography</a></div>

<div class="menustyle"><a href="javascript:InsertContent('submenu');" class="menustyle">Portfolio</a></div>
    <div id="submenu" style="display:none;">

<div class="submenu_margin"><a href="Projects/Grace/grace.html" class="submenu" target="myframe">Grace</a></div>
    <div class="submenu_margin"><a href="Projects/Still/still_gallery.html" class="submenu" target="myframe">Still</a></div>
    <div class="submenu_margin"><a href="multimedia.html" class="submenu" target="myframe">Multimedia</a></div>
    This is a dropdown menu that uses Javascript to hide the dropdown until Portfolio has been clicked on. I'm at a loss as to how I would be able to include the ability in a CMS to be able to add another link in the submenu. It would require the CMS platform to know to add all the class and target information, but how??

I've looked at Adobe Contribute, InContext for CS4, and Joomla, but they all seem to be geared towards editing static content only, and a little bit of CSS here and there. When you add a link, you add a very simple href tag and that's about it. JS is well beyond their reach. I mean, the image galleries I am using include next and previous buttons, play and stop slideshow buttons, and fade effects, none of which I think I can achieve without using JS, and I have to be able to use those effects.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a CMS solution, or a way for me to drastically simplify the effects I need to use on the sites that could be integrated into CMS?

Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

hello!

I would suggest looking into Drupal. They have so many themes to choose from that will easily resolve this issue. To add a submenu item, you simply drag and drop the child link under the desired parent link and press save. Or you can create a new page and, from a drop down selection list, choose where you would like menu item to display. The CMS also many modules to offer that are insainly easy to install. Check out this site for drupal modules.

-JM