Thread: Many nulls in blank $_POST field..How?

Question Many nulls in blank $_POST field..How?

I've been stymied in trying to test for blank fields entered on an HTML form. All tests have been failing to identify a "blank", ( user entered nothing), field. I finally broke down the resultant $_POST variable in my called PHP and found that it's length was 11 characters and that each of those 11 characters was ascii 0 (null). While I could test on ascii values, I'm thinking I must be missing something since everything I've read makes it look like simple tests for if var =="". Any help here would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsportbiker View Post
    I've been stymied in trying to test for blank fields entered on an HTML form. All tests have been failing to identify a "blank", ( user entered nothing), field. I finally broke down the resultant $_POST variable in my called PHP and found that it's length was 11 characters and that each of those 11 characters was ascii 0 (null). While I could test on ascii values, I'm thinking I must be missing something since everything I've read makes it look like simple tests for if var =="". Any help here would be appreciated.
    By default all fields in a form at not set, so the isset($_POST['field']) should return false.
    If a user clicks inside a field, it is set but null. The empty($_POST['field']) should help you there. There are alot of variable handling functions that you should take a look at.

PHP Code:
    <?php
    if(isset($_POST['field']) && !empty($_POST['field'])) {

$field $_POST['field'];
    }
    else {

// error message
    }
    ?>
    “The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.”