Thread: Unicode the standard import format?

slug Guest

Unicode the standard import format?

Hi,
    I am creating a Spanish version of an English web site. As you can imagine there are a lot of accented letters and special charactars in the text. Is there any alternative to inserting the HTML entity codes (&---- for each special charactar? A techy friend told me if I saved my input text as Unicode (save as plain text file with Unicode -utf-8 - coding) before importing it in to Dreamweaver, and if the following tag was in the head of my HTML document
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    then any browser should be able to read all of the text inclduing all of the special charactars.
    Anyone know if this is true or what is best practice?
    I have tried it on a test page, here:
    http://www.ilovetari...x-esn-test.html
    Internet Explorer can read the special charactars but Firefox can't.
    ???

Thanks
    slug X

Yes, if you add that meta tag to the top of your page, then your characters will render properly on different browsers. If the browser doesn't have the proper code page (UTF-8), then it will prompt the user to download it in order to display the page properly.

Keep in mind that with UTF-8, the characters (or entities) are defined using a numerical code (&#xe5; or something like that). If your pointing to an XHTML doc type, then here's a list of defined codes (things like &amp;).

If you want to use a character that's not defined in the standard entities, you'll have to enter its numerical code in directly. Here's a list of the UTF-8 character set. So for example, if I wanted to use an Latin Wynn character, I would type &#x1f7; into my HTML page (where 1f7 is the hexadecimal code for the character).

You can read more on W3's page (the section you're interested in is 5.3).
    Last edited by tivy; 16 Jun 2010 at 04:48 PM.
    All web designers hate the internet. If I spend all day making/updating/looking at websites, why the hell would I want to deal with it outside of work?