Thread: Pushing updates to clients

vduke Guest

Post Pushing updates to clients

Alright here's a general question that I'm sure has a hundred way's to go about implementation.

I'm not sure about the best way to do this or handle this. I have developed a piece of software in PHP that I have the boys on the sales force out and selling. Now, before we get 10,000 people using this software and I end up with an un-maintainable nightmare. I would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on ways to "Push" updates to these clients. So as i add new modules and make changes to the database structure I can keep these hundreds of clients up to date. Any ideas?

Thanks to all the fellow coders in advance

cant you serve it centrally and then just make updates on the core production instance

you would be running a subscription based business model

clients just need to log in to your system and not worry about updates

This is how I would have done it but you have said the product is already being sold now so your too late I suppose

The only other way would be for your script to check a file in a directory on your server and check the build number of that file. If its different from the one it has registered previously then you need to download it and then replace it.

Its not a very good implementation though.